Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Mujadarah (Arabic Lentils and Rice)

It doesn't get cheaper, healthier, easier than this recipe. I think it is best served with Arabic salad.

1 c brown rice
6-8 c water
1 ½ c dried lentils
2 chicken bouillion cubes
2 t cumin
½ t pepper
2-3 T olive oil or butter
1 large onion
salt to taste
• Place brown rice and water in saucepan. Cook over medium heat about 20 min.
• Add lentils, bouillion, pepper, cumin and cook another 25 minutes, or until rice and lentil are soft (add more water if it needs it).
• Meanwhile, saute onions in oil until brown and carmelized (allow a lot of time for them to carmelize).
• Add onions to the rice/lentil mixture a few minutes before the rice/lentil mixture is done.

2 comments:

Jess said...

So I tried this for lunch today and Analee loved it! I can't wait to try it again with the salad (I was too lazy to go to the store for those ingredients :D) Thanks for posting this one :)

nicklovin said...

I tried this last night and it was SO good! I love those little caramelized onions. I added a good pinch of cayenne and I used vegetable "better than boullion" instead. Super yum!